Saturday, October 4, 2008

Ole's Missing Parts

Ole's missing some parts today. He was scheduled for his leg surgery yesterday, so today he's missing the vein that ran from his groin to his ankle. The doc said he came through it with flying colors, (as usual) so now all he has to do is heal up.

It was a long day at the hospital yesterday. We had to be there by 6 o'clock and didn't get home until 4 o'clock in the afternoon. It sure would be nice if they would put some comfortable chairs in the family rooms of these places. My gosh, when you have to sit there for hours and wait you at least deserve a comfortable chair. The seats were so short - they only went from your back to your mid-thigh, not out to where your knees bend - that my back became very tired and my legs started to ache. And instead of having the vertical back part at an angle, it was straight up and down, so you couldn't relax at all. I know I'm tall, but even the short people were having trouble. Lots of squirming and stuff going on in that waiting room. It was worse than sitting in a wooden church pew for hours on end!

Once they took him up to the surgery floor I was ushered to the family room where there was a Mother Hen at the desk who watched over everyone. It was her job to communicate status of the patients in surgery to the individual waiting family members so you always knew what was going on. "They're taking him into surgery now." "He's done with surgery and in the recovery room." "The doctor will see you shortly." "They're taking him down to the Day Unit recovery room now so you can head down there, too." So that was a nice perk.

I just wish that the Mother Hen would have taken charge of the young child that was running wild in the waiting room disturbing everyone. Actually, the Mother Hen should have taken charge of the mother of the young child and educated her in good manners and how to control her child. This kid was doing everything except climbing the walls, and I'm sure he would have done that too if he could have figured out a way to do it. How can parents be so oblivious to their child's behavior, especially when everyone else in the waiting room is giving them looks that could kill because of their lack of intelligence.

Ole's leg is wrapped like a giant sausage from his foot to his thigh. I was a bit concerned about him sleeping last night due to having pain, etc., but as of yet he hasn't even used any pain pills. Just a couple of Tylenol. His orders are to be up and walking in order to prevent blood clots, and he says he's actually more comfortable moving around than sitting or lying in bed. So he spent a bit of time with the doggers yesterday after we got home - walking them around the property. Or I should say they walked him around the property. They were pretty lonesome after being shut up from 7:30 when Lovely Daughter dropped them off, until we got home at 4 o'clock.


Anonymous said...

Here's to a speedy recovery for our famous Ole!

Holly said...

Ditto what K-lo said. Hope he heals up soon

MG said...

Sending prayers on a wing for Ole.

Carolyn said...

I'm so glad that Ole's doing well. I'm sure the doggers were so happy to see him up and around. God bless.

~ Sil in Corea said...

Very glad to hear Ole is doing so well.

Thanks for your note. My daughter is on the mend, too. The place where she works has given her 30 days off to heal! Bless their little pea-pickin' hearts.

Hugs to you, Ole, and the doggers,
~ Sil

words-4-less said...

Hugs to you both!!!!!