Monday, August 16, 2010

The End of Sturgis

I know I haven't actually written much since we started this adventure, but you see, there's a reason for it. And it's all Ole's fault (good thing I've got somebody to blame, huh?) You see, Ole was put in charge of gathering the laptop computer and all the accessories that were needed and getting everything in the motorhome when we left home. Well, that didn't work so well. He remembered the wireless mouse, but completely forgot the keyboard. Yes, I know that a laptop has a keyboard, but I HATE the keyboard on a laptop. The touch is different, the placement of stuff is different and it's FLAT!! I make way too many mistakes typing on a laptop keyboard, so I just don't. But I'll try to make up for that today.

We said goodbye to our friends Karen & Dave and Jeff & Jerry and pulled out of Sturgis about noon yesterday. We landed in Medora, ND last night, home of the Marquis de Mores, the Teddy Roosevelt National Park and the Badlands.

The video that I put up yesterday was taken on Saturday night in Sturgis. The evening was quite interesting to say the least. There were two gangs in town, which happens very rarely. Not that gangs don't make their presence known, but usually only one at a time. There's some kind of an agreement that only one gang comes to town at a time and they each have their designated nights, apparently. But Saturday night both the Hells Angels and the Bandidos were in town. The Hell's Angels seemed to stick to one area, but the Bandidos were like mosquitoes and were buzzing around all up and down main street showing definite "attitudes." We didn't hang around too long after that and headed back to the campground.

All in all the 10 days in Sturgis was okay, although I've enjoyed myself more other years. The weather wasn't conducive to the best of riding this year. The heat and humidity was terrible until, of course, the day before we left. Then it became pleasant. We've been there other years when the temps were higher - 105, 107 - but lacking the humidity so it was much more pleasant. There were some issues with the concert venues and the traffic jams that they caused, which caused us to sit in "parking lots" for long periods of time - again, not pleasant, but hopefully that problem will be solved by next year.

Otherwise, it was nice to get away. But I must say that by the end of 10 days I was definitely ready to get away from all the traffic and noise to a quieter atmosphere. And that is just what Medora and the Badlands have.

I talked to Lovely Daughter this morning. She was checking on our house and was going to clean it for me so I'd have a clean house to come home to. Isn't that sweet of her? She also gave me a report on all my flowers - she said they're spectacular - so my watering system must be working.

That's all to report for now - other than we're planning a very lazy day. Maybe a bike ride through the park later in the day and supper at the Iron Horse Saloon - one of our favorite places in Medora. I'll tell you about that in a later post.

Love Lena
PS: REAL cowboys live here. They're bowlegged, dusty and wear 10-gallon hats.

1 comment:

Marge said...

We also love Medora and Theodore Roosevelt National Park. Love the drive and the buffalo and the wild horses. Just a special sleepy little town. Restful and relaxing. Enjoy!