Saturday, January 1, 2011

Happy New Year!!

Well, The Blizzard is over. Ole spent 5 hours yesterday with our big John Deere tractor and 8 foot wide snowblower blowing snow and another 3 hours today and he's still not done. Out at the end of our driveway we had a drift that was higher than our 4-wheel drive pickup. I certainly hope that this is not an omen of things to come for the remainder of the winter. If it is, we're in deep doo-doo next spring during flood season.

I've been SO lazy since Christmas. I decided that the week between Christmas and New Years I was just going to be lazy and enjoy myself - and I was quite successful at it. I haven't accomplished ANYTHING! Unfortunately - it all waits. So tomorrow I have to dig in - hard. I have dust bunnies in all the corners and they definitely have to go away.

The New Year had to usher itself in at our house last night, and it got along just fine without us. It was blizzarding - again - a nice night to stay snug in the house. I tucked in about 8 o'clock last night and I think Ole snuggled down about 10. I don't think either of us opened our eyes until about 9 o'clock this morning. Opened them to everything encased in a coating of ice and snow. I guess that's what happens when you have a "6" as the beginning digit of your age.

I so remember wondering how my parents could stand going to bed so early on New Year's Eve and not making a big deal of it. I guess at my age I would rather wake up on New Year's Day and start the new year with a clear head - not having to recover from too much alcohol, too much noise and too much second-hand smoke.

Church has already been canceled for tomorrow morning - not because it's storming anymore but because the parking lot is so encased in ice that Pastor is afraid of people falling and breaking something. He said when he went to the church this afternoon he went down once and his secretary went down twice. Not a good situation and not a good way to start the year.

So Ole and I will just continue to stay housebound, as will Daisy. She didn't get her run this afternoon and is missing it - but I'm afraid she wouldn't have been able to stand up anyway and may have slipped and broken a leg. That we don't need either. Forecast is for 23 degrees below zero tonight. I guess it's cold enough to kill all the germs anyway!!

Here's a little ditty that a friend sent me today - written specifically for this last blizzard. Enjoy.

Happy New Year - Love Lena


2 comments:

~ Sil in Corea said...

Glad to hear you're surviving! That's some snow ya had there! Stay as snug and warm as you can; never can tell what spring will bring. Hugs and best wishes for 2011!

StitchinByTheLake said...

Ok Lena it's time to move south! blessings, marlene