Monday, August 24, 2009

Really Ugly - Part 2

Okay - okay - I've intended to finish this story as I've found out more information, and judging from the emails and comments I've received, many of you are concerned as to the details.

The man who died was named Richard. One of Richard's fishing buddies that hadn't seen him or heard from him for a time decided to stop at Richard's house and try to line up another fishing date. Buddy knocked at the door, and could see Richard sitting in his chair in the living room with the TV on. Of course Richard didn't answer the door, so Buddy walked around to the side of the house where there was an open window. Buddy knew then and there that things weren't good inside the house so he called 911.

The Rescue Squad was called first, along with the Sheriff of course, and when they got there they decided that they needed the Fire Department with both entry equipment and breathing apparatus. Upon their arrival the door was pried open and two of the firemen went into the house. Then the coroner was called because in the state of Minnesota the body can't be moved until it's pronounced dead!! (Think about that in this situation!!)

A bit of history about Richard: Richard was 48, unmarried and had two brothers both slightly younger than him. Richard and his brothers were deeply involved in excessive alcohol consumption and drugs, and were known in the community as "fighters" especially under the influence. They had a lake place, and about a year ago were at the lake putting their boat in the water from the boat lift. For some unknown reason they started a fist fight between the two of them. The neighbors called the sheriff who responded immediately. Richard's brother took a swing at the sheriff, who in self-defense swung back at Richard's brother. Brother fell backwards, hit his head on a rock and died in the hospital the next day.

The original call to the Rescue Squad came in as "male with suicidal tendencies barricaded in house." Apparently he had suffered from suicidal thoughts over the last year since his brother's death, and this fact was an issue known by his fishing buddy.

The coroner pronounced Richard dead and placed the time of death at approximately three weeks prior, which would have been the one year anniversary of his brother's death.

Coincidence? Your guess is as good as mine.


~ Sil in Corea said...

That's really sad. I guess most small towns have folks like that. I know it's true in my town in Maine, and it happens here in Korea as well. In Gwangmyeong three years ago, close to me, a quiet, middle-aged drunk wasn't found until my landlady went to see why he hadn't paid his rent. That's a horrid smell I'll never forget.

Memaw's memories said...

What a sad life and how sad to die alone.

Susan said...

Lord have mercy! My hubby, as a bank trust officer, has gone into many homes in the past to "clean up" the remains of a natural death that was not reported until weeks later. He knows the "crap" that goes along with it.

Meggie said...

There is no such thing as a coincidence, that's my opinion anyway. What an interesting story. Wish it were fiction instead of reality. -Megan-

Jean said...

My brother died unexpectedly last year and wasn't found for a week. In July. In the midwest. With the air conditioner off and the windows closed. And a dog in the house with him. The authorities call those 'unattended deaths'.

It took every bit of the horror of his sudden death and maximized it about 1000%.

I NEVER want to go through anything like that again.

And coincidence? Not chance one.

Paula - 52 said...

Just getting caught my what a story. Ick!!! Poor Richard...poor guys who found him.